Facebook `draining your time and wallet`
New York: Cutting back on checking up on Facebook ‘friends’ could not only save your time, but it could also save your money.
A new survey has revealed that Facebook users are heavily influenced to make impulse buys based on the recommendations of contacts on the social media website.
The survey from online marketing experts Sociable Labs found that three quarters of people who regularly shop online click on product links shared or ‘liked’ by friends on the site, the Daily Mail reported.
More than half of these then went on to buy products recommended by their Facebook friends, the survey of 1088 Facebook users found.
Experts from Sociable Labs are calling this process ‘social proofing’, in which consumers are attracted to products based on the opinions of online communities.
And the people who did buy this way, dubbed ‘Social Buyers’, are extremely valuable customers – 81 per cent are Social Sharers too, Sociable Labs reports.
“Retailers have the ability to trigger this kind of sharing from their e-commerce sites, driving both significant referral visits and conversion uplift if they fully leverage it,” Darby Williams, vice president of marketing at Sociable Labs, told AOL DailyFinance.
“Now with high-velocity ‘frictionless sharing’, social sharing can become one of the top drivers of both for almost any online retailer,” Williams added.
Brands are fast realising the impact that this kind of ‘social proofing’ can have on the way they market their products.
Consumers in the US spend 15 per cent of their online time on Facebook where they are bombarbed with recommendations, status updates and other information via its newsfeed.
Rohit Bhargava, senior vice president with WPP agency Ogilvy, has coined the term ‘likeonomics’ to describe how social media approval can influence consumers’ purchasing habits.
And Facebook’s own analysis of its top 100 brand pages, reported by AOL, has indicated that every fan offers brand exposure to a further 34 Facebook friends of that fan - a multiplier effect with massive potential.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister