Facebook forms political action committee
Washington: Facebook has said that it is forming a political action committee (PAC) for employees of the social network to make contributions to candidates.
Most large US corporations have established PACs, which are allowed to donate USD 5,000 to a candidate per election and up to USD 15,000 annually to a national party committee.
Facebook filed the paperwork to incorporate its PAC with the Federal Election Committee yesterday.
"FB PAC will give our employees a way to make their voice heard in the political process by supporting candidates who share our goals of promoting the value of innovation to our economy while giving people the power to share and make the world more open and connected," a Facebook spokesman said.
As Facebook has grown to more than 800 million members it has expanded its presence in Washington and made a number of high-profile hires recently.
In June, Joe Lockhart, former US president Bill Clinton`s spokesman, was named vice president of global communications at the social network.
In September, Erin Egan, a privacy and data security lawyer, was hired to serve as Washington-based director of privacy for Facebook and Louisa Terrell, a special assistant for legislative affairs to US President Barack Obama, was named director of public policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof