Facebook in talks to buy Whatsapp: Report
New York: Social networking Facebook Inc is in talks to acquire popular messaging app Whatsapp, a move that will beef-up its mobile services business, says a media report.
"Whatsapp, the multiplatform mobile messaging app that has been one of the runaway success stories for ad-free, paid services, has been in talks to be acquired by Facebook, " technology blog Techcrunch said citing sources close to the matter.
"We are still digging around on potential price and other details...," the report said citing sources.
Whatsapp, which was founded in 2009, has 1,000 million daily active users globally and delivers about one billion messages per day.
The social networking firm, which was founded eight years ago by Mark Zuckerberg with his college roommates and fellow Harvard University students, at present has around one billion users across the world.
Facebook has been making efforts to improve its mobile service business and made buyouts including the purchase of photo-sharing mobile app Instagram.
Earlier in July, Facebook acquired the team behind start-up firm Spool, in an aim to beef up its mobile business. Besides, the social networking firrm also purchased Israeli facial recognition firm Face.Com in June.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list