Facebook names `HMU` as top status trend of 2010
Washington: Social networking site Facebook has named “HMU”, which stands for Hit Me Up, as the top status update trend of the year.
According to the Facebook Blog, in 2009, HMU was virtually unheard of, with just about 20 people posting it a day in May 2009, but by the end of the year, it had risen to 1,600 posts a day, CBS News reported.
But in 2010, the number of posts including the acronym increased by 75 percent each month until it reached 80,000 mentions by the end of the summer.
Before September, people used it equally throughout the week, but as school started back up, Facebook now sees huge upsurges of people using HMU during free time on the weekends.
The top ten status trends of 2010 are:
2. The World Cup
4. iPad and iPhone 4
6. Justin Bieber
7. Games on Facebook, especially the phrase “barn raising” in reference to FarmVille
8. Chilean miners
9. Airplanes - both travel and referencing the B.o.B. song “Airplanes”
10. 2011 - talking about the future
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN