Facebook names `HMU` as top status trend of 2010
Washington: Social networking site Facebook has named “HMU”, which stands for Hit Me Up, as the top status update trend of the year.
According to the Facebook Blog, in 2009, HMU was virtually unheard of, with just about 20 people posting it a day in May 2009, but by the end of the year, it had risen to 1,600 posts a day, CBS News reported.
But in 2010, the number of posts including the acronym increased by 75 percent each month until it reached 80,000 mentions by the end of the summer.
Before September, people used it equally throughout the week, but as school started back up, Facebook now sees huge upsurges of people using HMU during free time on the weekends.
The top ten status trends of 2010 are:
2. The World Cup
4. iPad and iPhone 4
6. Justin Bieber
7. Games on Facebook, especially the phrase “barn raising” in reference to FarmVille
8. Chilean miners
9. Airplanes - both travel and referencing the B.o.B. song “Airplanes”
10. 2011 - talking about the future
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself