Facebook overhauls privacy controls
Palo Alto: Facebook has overhauled its privacy controls to fend off mounting criticism
that it is betraying the trust that has made it the world`s biggest social network.
"It`s been a pretty intense few weeks for us, listening to all the feedback coming in from all the changes we`ve made," Facebook`s 26-year-old founder Mark Zuckerberg said as he announced simplified privacy controls.
"Our teams internally have been cranking for the last couple of weeks."
Facebook unveiled a redesigned privacy settings page to provide a single control for content and "significantly reduce" the amount of information that is always visible to
Facebook also said it is giving users more control over how outside applications or websites access information at the service.
"This is a pretty big overhaul to the system we already have," Zuckerberg said while outlining the changes during a press briefing at the social network`s headquarters in the California city of Palo Alto.
"Now we are making it so there is less information that has to be public. People want a simple way to control the way information is shared with third parties, so that is what
we are doing," he said.
The revamped privacy controls will roll out in the coming days.
Facebook last month sparked criticism from US privacy and consumer groups, US lawmakers and the European Union by adding the ability for partner websites to incorporate data regarding members of the social-networking service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister