Facebook overhauls privacy controls
Palo Alto: Facebook has overhauled its privacy controls to fend off mounting criticism
that it is betraying the trust that has made it the world`s biggest social network.
"It`s been a pretty intense few weeks for us, listening to all the feedback coming in from all the changes we`ve made," Facebook`s 26-year-old founder Mark Zuckerberg said as he announced simplified privacy controls.
"Our teams internally have been cranking for the last couple of weeks."
Facebook unveiled a redesigned privacy settings page to provide a single control for content and "significantly reduce" the amount of information that is always visible to
Facebook also said it is giving users more control over how outside applications or websites access information at the service.
"This is a pretty big overhaul to the system we already have," Zuckerberg said while outlining the changes during a press briefing at the social network`s headquarters in the California city of Palo Alto.
"Now we are making it so there is less information that has to be public. People want a simple way to control the way information is shared with third parties, so that is what
we are doing," he said.
The revamped privacy controls will roll out in the coming days.
Facebook last month sparked criticism from US privacy and consumer groups, US lawmakers and the European Union by adding the ability for partner websites to incorporate data regarding members of the social-networking service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!