Facebook playing catch up to Twitter on ‘effective mobile ads’: Report
London: Social networking giant Facebook is playing catch up to popular micro blogging platform Twitter when it comes to effective mobile advertisements, according to a report.
Twitter is now generating most of its revenues from adverts seen by its users on mobile devices rather than from commercial messages on Twitter.com.
Facebook, on the other hand, has issued a revenue warning over its mobile growth and it lack of capacity to monetise the small screen.
According to Angus Wood, the group director for paid social media at iProspect, Twitter has a significant head start on Facebook as its advertising platform was ‘built for mobile from the off’.
“Twitter never created a specific advertising space but allowed people to pay to promote their tweets on the existing service,” The Telegraph quoted Wood, as saying.
“It baked the commercial part of its venture into the service from the off. And also the Twitter.com experience is nearly identical to that of the mobile app,” he said.
“However, Facebook created a traditional display advertising media platform – in a similar vein to Yahoo and MSN - which doesn’t easily translate to mobile,” he added.
According to the paper, Woods has, however, warned not to write Facebook’s mobile efforts off.
“Don’t underestimate Facebook. So far there are only sponsored stories which allow brands the chance to advertise on the mobile app,” Woods said.
“I am sure they will come up with something which can allow them to monetise their huge reach. Twitter is still a much smaller and typically younger and digitally savvy crowd…Facebook attracts everyone but it needs to get its mobile advertising plan started,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE