Facebook profiles to play up brand and band pages
New York: Facebook is revamping users` profiles to emphasise the pages for bands, books and businesses that millions have become fans of on the world`s largest online social network.
Currently, users can list their activities, interests, favourite music and TV shows as part of their profiles. But links to Facebook "pages" for wine, your local library or the
Lakers basketball team would appear in a separate section lower down.
The process which begun yesterday, Facebook started prompting users to essentially combine the two. So if you listed Johnny Cash in the "favourite music" section of your
profile, Facebook will now ask you to join his page, if you haven`t become a fan of it already.
You`ll be able to hide this connection on your profile, but your name will still be listed on the Johnny Cash page as one of the 1.2 million "people who like this" -- what Facebook
used to term "fans". The same goes for users` home towns, education and work places.
But there are more to Facebook pages than brands and bands.
People like pickles, they like sleeping in and 641,653 people even like the Norwegian Olympic curling team`s pants.
So for such things, Facebook is rolling out "community pages".
In many cases this page will include the Wikipedia entry on the topic, along with facebook posts from friends and others discussing it. The page collects and displays posts by Facebook users mentioning cooking. Users will see posts from their friends and from strangers who haven`t restricted public access to their updates.
But for now, there is no option for users to interact with the cooking page, for example, by posting a message directly on its "wall". Facebook said it will be asking people
"who are passionate about any of these topics" to sign up as a contributor, though the company did not say when this would begin.
Facebook is also adding some privacy controls so that users` friends can`t see the list of other friends they have.
Under a new section called "friends, tags and connections", users will be able to limit who can see what on their profile.
Facebook had taken away this option with its overhaul of privacy settings in December, but users and privacy advocates have been asking for it back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in