Facebook reaches one billion users
New York: Facebook has exceeded one billion active users, an "amazing" milestone for the social networking site that now reaches one out of every seven people on the Earth.
"This morning, there are more than one billion people using Facebook actively each month," said Mark Zuckerberg, the Co-founder and CEO of the social media giant.
"If you`re reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honour of serving you. Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life."
Topping the one billion mark means that Facebook now reaches one out of every 7 people on the planet, CNN reported, adding that the site has a presence in more than 200 sovereign territories.
The California-based company said those billion users were to date responsible for 1.13 trillion `likes`, 219 billion photos and 17 billion location check-ins.
It took Facebook, launched in 2004, six years to hit the 500 million user mark and barely two to double it.
Founded in 2004, Facebook reached one billion monthly active users on September 14 at 12.45 PM Pacific time, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced on the website.
Facebook is estimated to have over 25 million users in India.
The note said that the median age of users joining the week that Facebook hit the 1 billion-mark was 22 years and that Facebook`s five biggest markets are Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the US.
It also said it has 600 million users logging into the website from their mobile devices, pointing towards to growing penetration of mobile devices to connect to the Internet.
The world`s biggest social network, Facebook had hit the 25 million user mark in January 2006, 50 million in October 2007, 100 million in August 2008 and 500 million user mark in July 2010.
The company, which went public in 2012, has also faced criticism over privacy issues in the last few years. It was valued at USD 100 million during its IPO, making it one of the largest initial offerings.
Thanking users for their support, Facebook has also made a brand video.
"Celebrating a billion people is very special to me. It`s a moment to honour the people we serve. For the first time in our history, we`ve made a brand video to express what our place is on this earth. We believe that the need to open up and connect is what makes us human. It`s what brings us together. It`s what brings meaning to our lives," Zuckerberg said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- DNA: Analysing how plastics are devastating our health silently
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'