Facebook refuses to take down ‘rape joke` page
London: Social networking giant Facebook has refused to remove a controversial page that has been heavily criticized for making jokes about rape.
The group page, called “You know she`s playing hard to get when your chasing her down an alleyway”, has 194,370 likes on Facebook.
But victim support groups have called the page “disgusting,” and said that it trivialises and jokes about rape.
Many victim support charities have started a petition calling for the page to be removed, and have claimed that the page breaches the social network’s own rules that forbids users from posting content that is hateful, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
Facebook has, however, refused to take it down saying the site wanted to ‘allow freedom of expression,’ the BBC reports.
“It is very important to point out that what one person finds offensive another can find entertaining, just as telling a rude joke won`t get you thrown out of your local pub, it won`t get you thrown off Facebook,” a statement said.
“Groups or pages that express an opinion on a state, institution, or set of beliefs - even if that opinion is outrageous or offensive to some - do not by themselves violate our policies,” the statement said.
“These online discussions are a reflection of those happening offline, where conversations happen freely in people`s homes, in cafes and on the telephone,” it added.
Meanwhile, some of the big companies, such as Sony, American Express and BlackBerry, which pay Facebook to advertise on the social networking site have asked for their adverts to be removed from the group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- All Audi India models to get petrol engines by Q1 2017
- India vs West Indies, 1st T20I Preview: Two countries enter new world of cricket in United States
- IIT-Bombay has blacklisted these 9 companies from placements for one year
- US Open: Ramkumar Ramanathan falls in first round of qualifiers
- Gems, jewellery exports up about 12% in Apr-Jul FY17