Facebook rejects ownership lawsuit as a scam
Facebook rejected a lawsuit filed by a NY man who claims he is entitled to 84% of the social network.
New York: Facebook today rejected as a "scam" a lawsuit filed by a New York man who claims he is entitled to 84 percent of the wildly successful social network.
Facebook`s statement came as a US District Court judge in Buffalo, New York, held a hearing in the suit filed against Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg by Paul Ceglia of
Wellsville, New York.
Ceglia, in the suit filed in June, claimed that he signed a contract with Zuckerberg in April 2003 to design a website called "The Face Book," or "The Page Book," by January 1,2004.
According to the lawsuit, Ceglia acquired 50 percent of the business and an additional one percent interest per day until it was complete.
The project, for which Zuckerberg was allegedly paid 1,000 dollars and received a 50 percent stake, was completed 34 days late, giving Ceglia an additional 34 percent stake in
the business, the lawsuit said.
Facebook today said the case is "a fraud brought by a convicted felon with a well-documented track record of scamming and defrauding honest people.
"This case is his latest scam," Facebook said in a statement.
New York state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo accused Ceglia last year of taking more than 200,000 dollars from customers of his wood fuel pellet company and then failing to deliver any products or refunds.
In court today, Ceglia`s lawyer argued that Zuckerberg is a resident of New York, where he was born and raised, and that the case should be heard in New York state court instead of federal court.
Lawyers for Zuckerberg presented evidence showing that Zuckerberg has lived in California, where Facebook is based, for more than six years.