Facebook rolls out location-sharing feature
New York: Facebook users in the US will soon be able to see which of their friends are nearby using a new feature launched by the company.
The "Nearby Friends" feature launched yesterday must be turned on by the user, so people shouldn`t expect to broadcast their location unknowingly. It will use your smartphone`s GPS system to tell your Facebook friends you are nearby provided they have the feature turned on as well. Rather than share your exact location, it will show only that you are nearby, say, within half a mile.
If you like, you can manually share a more precise location with a specific friend you`d like to meet up with. Friends can see where you`re located in a particular park, airport or city block. By default, your exact location will be shared for only an hour, although you can change this.
Nearby Friends launches amid the growing popularity of location-based mobile dating apps such as Tinder and Hinge. But unlike those apps, Facebook`s feature will let you meet up only with people who are already your friends.
Facebook, whose motto has long been "move fast and break things," built a lot of precautions in this new tool as it tries to avoid privacy fiascos that often bubble up when it makes changes to its service.
The new motto, "ship love," is evident in the cautious rollout of Nearby Friends, said Jules Polonetsky, director of the Future of Privacy Forum, an industry-backed think tank in Washington. He has advised Facebook on privacy issues, including the latest feature.
He believes Facebook is showing "a deeper appreciation that with a billion users, any change needs to be implemented in a way that doesn`t surprise the audience."
That`s especially so when it comes to privacy, especially when it comes to location sharing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read