Facebook set to reach 1 bn users by 2012
London : Nearly 700 million people are using the social network site Facebook worldwide now, and the number is likely to reach one billion by 2012.
According to statistics site Social Bakers, the fastest growth is coming out of Brazil, with Facebook picking up another 1.9 million users in May, a newspaper reported.
Other fast growing social networking countries include Indonesia, Philippines, Mexico and Argentina.
Last July, when Facebook reached the 500 million users mark, its founder Mark Zuckerberg said there was `no chance` the company wouldn`t reach one billion.
"It is almost a guarantee that it will happen. It will be interesting to see how it plays out," Zuckerberg said that time.
In the first quarter of this year, the site beat usual numbers jumping from 585 million users to more than 665million. There were nearly 80 million new users in three months.
The US still holds the number one country spot with over 149million users, almost half its population. Some 19 million of them come from California alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump Inauguration LIVE: US President vows to eradicate Islamic terrorism from the face of Earth