Facebook set to reach 1 bn users by 2012
London : Nearly 700 million people are using the social network site Facebook worldwide now, and the number is likely to reach one billion by 2012.
According to statistics site Social Bakers, the fastest growth is coming out of Brazil, with Facebook picking up another 1.9 million users in May, a newspaper reported.
Other fast growing social networking countries include Indonesia, Philippines, Mexico and Argentina.
Last July, when Facebook reached the 500 million users mark, its founder Mark Zuckerberg said there was `no chance` the company wouldn`t reach one billion.
"It is almost a guarantee that it will happen. It will be interesting to see how it plays out," Zuckerberg said that time.
In the first quarter of this year, the site beat usual numbers jumping from 585 million users to more than 665million. There were nearly 80 million new users in three months.
The US still holds the number one country spot with over 149million users, almost half its population. Some 19 million of them come from California alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured