Facebook set to reach 1 bn users by 2012
London : Nearly 700 million people are using the social network site Facebook worldwide now, and the number is likely to reach one billion by 2012.
According to statistics site Social Bakers, the fastest growth is coming out of Brazil, with Facebook picking up another 1.9 million users in May, a newspaper reported.
Other fast growing social networking countries include Indonesia, Philippines, Mexico and Argentina.
Last July, when Facebook reached the 500 million users mark, its founder Mark Zuckerberg said there was `no chance` the company wouldn`t reach one billion.
"It is almost a guarantee that it will happen. It will be interesting to see how it plays out," Zuckerberg said that time.
In the first quarter of this year, the site beat usual numbers jumping from 585 million users to more than 665million. There were nearly 80 million new users in three months.
The US still holds the number one country spot with over 149million users, almost half its population. Some 19 million of them come from California alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors