Facebook status updates contagious, spread like virus: Study
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Be cautious while posting updates on your Facebook page as it can have a huge influence on its viewers.
A new research has suggested that the posts on your Facebook Wall – both positive and negative feelings, can impact the moods and posts of friends on your list.
By analysing over a billion anonymised status updates among more than 100 million users of Facebook in the United States, researchers found that positive posts beget positive posts and negative posts beget negative ones, with the positive posts being more influential, or more contagious.
“Our study suggests that people are not just choosing other people like themselves to associate with but actually causing their friends` emotional expressions to change,” said lead author James Fowler, professor of political science in the Division of Social Sciences and of medical genetics in the School of Medicine at UC San Diego.
There is abundant scientific literature on how emotion can spread among people - through direct contact, he added.
The researchers analysed anonymous English-language status updates on Facebook in the top 100 most populous cities in the US over 1,180 days, between January 2009 and March 2012.
The study, carried out by the University of California, San Diego, was published in the journal PlOS ONE.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi