Facebook testing calls with Messenger app on Apple`s iPhone
London: Facebook will be testing phone calls via its Messenger app for iPhone in America.
The social network is testing voice calls in the US, as it is seeking to add more mobile services.
In an email, the company said that its extended test has begun in Canada earlier this month.
According to the Telegraph, callers can use the app to make phone calls to friends over data networks instead of the voice service provided by traditional phone companies.
The news came the day after Facebook announced a new way of searching through information it holds about members, the report said.
The `graph search` tool is designed to link up the vast store of information in Facebook`s database, making it possible for members to search for friends based on their interests or even for friends of friends, it added.
The graph search and the phone calls function are seen as a way for Facebook to increase user engagement, especially via phone.
Facebook, based in Menlo Park, California, is stepping up its efforts in mobile to attract more consumers who use the service via tablets and smartphones, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore