Facebook testing calls with Messenger app on Apple`s iPhone
London: Facebook will be testing phone calls via its Messenger app for iPhone in America.
The social network is testing voice calls in the US, as it is seeking to add more mobile services.
In an email, the company said that its extended test has begun in Canada earlier this month.
According to the Telegraph, callers can use the app to make phone calls to friends over data networks instead of the voice service provided by traditional phone companies.
The news came the day after Facebook announced a new way of searching through information it holds about members, the report said.
The `graph search` tool is designed to link up the vast store of information in Facebook`s database, making it possible for members to search for friends based on their interests or even for friends of friends, it added.
The graph search and the phone calls function are seen as a way for Facebook to increase user engagement, especially via phone.
Facebook, based in Menlo Park, California, is stepping up its efforts in mobile to attract more consumers who use the service via tablets and smartphones, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days