Facebook to counter `advertisers` doubts` over ads
London: Social networking giant Facebook is battling doubts by advertisers, who have questioned the effectiveness of the firm’s advertising on the world`s largest social media platform.
The firm is preparing to unveil a huge amount of data to counter its critics, and show that "clicks", the current measure of choice, tell only half the story.
According to a new study that Facebook has conducted through a partnership with Datalogix, a data mining firm that tracks real-world retail sales, it emerged that fewer than one percent of in-store sales tied to brand advertising campaigns on Facebook come from people who clicked on an ad, The Telegraph reports.
Facebook will also argue that big-brand marketers should abandon the industry`s obsession with numbers of clicks and focus on more effective advertising techniques.
"We ended up in this world where the click is king," said Brad Smallwood, Facebook`s head of measurement and insights, who will present some of Facebook`s findings at one of the advertising industry`s biggest conferences in New York.
Smallwood said that while designing online ads to garner clicks makes sense for certain types of companies, such as e-commerce firms trying to ring up immediate online sales, clicks are not relevant to brand marketers.
According to the paper, through its partnership with Datalogix, Facebook says it can now give brand marketers data on the actual in-store sales that their ad campaigns on Facebook have generated, a more useful piece of feedback than total clicks.
Datalogix tracks the relationship between ads on Facebook and real-world spending by compiling consumer purchasing information from retail stores and matching it with data about Facebook ad impressions.
Facebook`s push to provide marketers with more feedback comes as the company`s revenue growth slows and the effectiveness of its ads remains a hotly debated topic.
Facebook, whose stock by the end of the third quarter was down 43 percent since its IPO, has unveiled a variety of new advertising capabilities in recent months, including ads designed to be viewed on smartphones, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!