Facebook to display ads based on your whereabouts
Washington: Facebook is looking into a technology that uses location data to tailor advertisements on their mobile site.
This technology is similar to the smartphone app that predicts where a person is going.
Andrew Bosworth, a Facebook engineer said that the company’s smartphone apps could potentially use audio sensors on top of location data to produce customized ads based on a user’s surroundings.
“Maybe you’re walking past somewhere we know you’ll like and it tells you there’s a deal you can get. Ads don’t have to be a distraction,” Bosworth was quoted as saying.
Facebook has been making very little money off the mobile version of its site.
In fact, before its IPO launch in May, the company had warned that mobile services “may negatively affect our revenue and financial results.”
Bosworth and his team have been trying to change that, since approximately half of all the active Facebook users access the site via their mobile devices.
He said that a phone’s microphone could be used to identify nearby sounds, such as music or a person humming.
If the tune or the music was recognized, the system then could suggest a relevant advertising strategy via online content or media purchases.
Bosworth said that the company’s current strategy for milking money from mobile content is through the use of sponsored stories, promotional messages for a brand or company that, say, one of the user’s friends is connected with or mentioned on Facebook.
However, Bosworth is optimistic that ads based on a user’s location could help Facebook more thoroughly take advantage of the local advertising market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon