Facebook`s new ‘graph search’: How it will help
California: Going one step ahead in its endeavour to make social media more relevant, Facebook has unveiled a new search feature called “graph search” that lets people tap into users’ circle of friends to find everything from restaurants to movie recommendations.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg introduced the feature in the company`s first staged event at its Menlo Park, California, headquarters since its rocky initial public offering in May.
Called "graph search," the new service lets users search their social connections for information about people, interests, photos and places. The new feature will help users who want to scroll through all the photos their friends took in a particular city or search for the favourite TV shows of all their friends who happen to be doctors.
With the new feature, people can search for friends who, say, live in New York who also like "Zero Dark Thirty".
Zuckerberg says the search feature is "privacy aware," which means users can only search for content that has been shared with them.
However, Facebook will make graph search available to users very slowly. For now, it will be available on the website and on the mobile product later.
Zuckerberg hinted last fall that a search feature was in the works in his first post-IPO public interview.
Facebook`s stock slid 50 cents to $30.45 following the announcement. It`s still down nearly 20 percent from its IPO price of $38.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir