Facebook`s oldest registered user turns 106
Washington: 106-year-old, Edythe Kirchmaier, is reportedly Facebook`s oldest registered user and has no intention of switching to any other social network as of now.
Kirchmaier earned the title of being the site`s senior most member last year when friends from the medical aid charity Direct Relief signed her up for an account on her 105th birthday.
According to ABC News, Kirchmaier is also California`s oldest licensed driver and the University of Chicago`s oldest living graduate.
At first, she couldn`t enter her birth year of 1908 when she joined Facebook, a glitch that took the site`s engineers one month to fix after verifying her age, as it was something they never had to do before.
Kirchmaier said that she embraces social media because it allows her to check in daily with friends and family, adding that she used her status to raise awareness for volunteerism in general and Direct Relief in particular.
Born into the age of telegraphs and candle stick telephones, Kirchmaier said that she still believes in the power of the pen and every Tuesday, for the past 41 years, she`s driven herself to Direct Relief`s offices in Santa Barbara to hand-write thank-you letters to the charity`s donors.
The report said that Kirchmaier has more than 45,000 friends on her personal Facebook page and the fan page Direct Relief set up for her last year has almost 105,000 likes.
Kirchmaier said that she won`t be tweeting, pinning or visiting any other social media sites anytime soon and is sticking with Facebook, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown