Fake Internet postcards linked to most prevalent US computer virus
Washington: A University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) expert has warned that fake Internet postcards circulating through e-mail inboxes across the world are carrying links to the virus called Zeus Bot.
According to a report in New Scientist, Bernd von Issendorff at the University of Freiburg in Germany and his colleagues created ice clusters of just a few tens of water molecules, tagged with an extra electron.
The electron’s charge allowed the team to trap the clusters in electric fields and weed out those of the wrong size.
As the ice clusters were ten thousand times smaller than a grain of sand, the researchers couldn’t merely watch them melt.
Instead, at temperatures ranging from -265 degree C to -80 degree C, they triggered the evaporation of a few molecules with pulses of laser light.
By counting the number of molecules that evaporated, they could calculate the energy of each cluster before it was zapped.
Since liquids contain more energy than solids, they could deduce the temperature at which the clusters melted.
The researchers were surprised to find melting began at just under –180 degree C.
“Probably anybody would have guessed that a small amount of water behaves differently, but maybe not so many that it is so different,” said von Issendorff.
Von Issendorff and his colleagues expect their findings will fine-tune models that explain and predict cloud formation and climate, atmospheric chemistry, and the evolution of water-rich objects in outer space, such as fledgling comets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!