FIFA World Cup 2014 generates record social media traffic
Zee Media Bureau/Ritu Singh
Rio de Janeiro: The Football world cup mania is finally here with fans all over the world going gaga after the mega event finally kicked off in style. How can social media be left behind? Twitter, Facebook and Google have all painted themselves in World Cup colours to be part of the biggest sports extravaganza.
Facebook has launched Trending World Cup, a dedicated hub for fans to follow the tournament as it unfolds and it includes the latest scores and highlights from matches.
The opening match of FIFA world cup garnered global response and excitement of fans which was pretty much evident on social media.Last night`s Brazil`s controversial 3-1 win over Croatia generated massive Twitter traffic with more than 12.2 million tweets. According to Twitter , who have 255 million users around the world - tweeters from more than 150 countries participated in the exchanges.
Globally, over 58 million people had more than 140 million Facebook interactions related to Brazil’s win over Croatia in the opening match . This includes about 16 million Brazilians who had more than 40 million Facebook interactions about the match, representing nearly 30% of Facebook daily actives in the host country.
The opening match also raised much eyebrows because of the controversial decision by Japanese referee Yuichi Nishimura. He featured in many posts and tweets after he decided to award a penalty despite there being no evident contact between Brazil striker Fred and Croatian centreback Dejan Lovren. Several posts showed mocked-up photos of Nishimura wearing a Brazil jersey.
Further Nishimura was again crticised for not allowing a Croatian goal and not showing Brazilian star Neymar a straight red card for elbowing Luka Modric.
The top 5 social media moments :
1. Neymar Jr. scores Brazil’s first goal to bring the match level at 1-1
2. Neymar Jr. gives Brazil a 2-1 lead on a penalty kick (awarded on controversial foul)
3. The final whistle blows and Brazil wins the opening match of the 2014 World Cup
4. Oscar scores in extra time to extend Brazil’s lead to 3-1
5. An own goal by Marcelo gives Croatia a stunning 1-0 early lead over Brazil
Also the players who created the most buzz were: Neymar Jr.,Oscar,Thiago Silva, Hulk
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India