Firefox plots system to stop firms from tracking you online
London: The makers of web-browser Firefox are working on a system which will allow internet users to stop themselves from being tracked online.
Mozilla wants to build a mechanism which will allow people to opt out of companies secretly monitoring which websites they visit, currently a common practice.
Internet giants like Google and Facebook use such information to sell targeted adverts and make money without ever asking the consent of the user.
Mozilla executives and other developers are to appear before a special panel this week in the US to discuss how they will put an end to this, reports the Daily Mail.
Such a move would be welcomed by privacy campaigners who have long complained that Google and Facebook are taking liberties with the information they gather without properly consulting the wider public.
Currently companies like Google and Facebook make a fortune using `cookies` that automatically save themselves onto your computer when you surf the web, and then monitor your browsing history.
This data is then sold on to advertisers who put highly lucrative targeted ads on the individual`s screen, depending on what internet pages they have recently been looking at.
Officials from Mozilla and online advertising company Lotame want to come up with a way of stopping this amid fears the US government will at some point step in and do it for them.
Mike Shaver, vice president of engineering at Mozilla, summed up the plan by saying the aim was to "put the user in control but not overwhelm them".
Internet Explorer is the most popular web browser with 59 percent market share and Google`s Chrome is used by nine percent -- it is at the third place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati and Pimpri Chinchwad seats