First `pay-by-tweet` service launched on Twitter
Washington: The first `pay-by-tweet` service has been launched on Twitter, with American Express introducing a service that will allow its cardholders purchase products simply by sending a short message.
The integration of a leading payment mechanism into Twitter represents one of the most ambitious attempts yet to build ecommerce directly into a social media site.
Under the arrangement, users who link their Twitter and Amex accounts will be able to accept offers from merchants by tweeting a hashtag included with the offer.
Provided they also tweet their confirmation to a follow-up message from Amex, the payments company said it would forward their details to the merchant and complete the transaction.
Leslie Berland, head of digital partnerships and development at the payments company, said Twitter itself would not share in any of the transaction revenue from the Amex transactions.
According to the report, Twitter could benefit from the increased advertising surrounding ecommerce, as merchants send out more "promoted tweets" to publicise their offers, according to one person familiar with the arrangement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price