First `pay-by-tweet` service launched on Twitter
Washington: The first `pay-by-tweet` service has been launched on Twitter, with American Express introducing a service that will allow its cardholders purchase products simply by sending a short message.
The integration of a leading payment mechanism into Twitter represents one of the most ambitious attempts yet to build ecommerce directly into a social media site.
Under the arrangement, users who link their Twitter and Amex accounts will be able to accept offers from merchants by tweeting a hashtag included with the offer.
Provided they also tweet their confirmation to a follow-up message from Amex, the payments company said it would forward their details to the merchant and complete the transaction.
Leslie Berland, head of digital partnerships and development at the payments company, said Twitter itself would not share in any of the transaction revenue from the Amex transactions.
According to the report, Twitter could benefit from the increased advertising surrounding ecommerce, as merchants send out more "promoted tweets" to publicise their offers, according to one person familiar with the arrangement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report