However, the EU`s data protection authorities are concerned about the privacy effects of the policy and earlier this month asked French regulator CNIL to investigate them.
"Our preliminary analysis shows that Google`s new policy does not meet the requirements of the European Directive on Data Protection," CNIL said in a letter to Google Chief Executive Larry Page. The letter was sent Monday and posted on CNIL`s website Tuesday.
The agency said Google`s explanation of how it will use the data was too vague and difficult to understand "even for trained privacy professionals"
The new policy makes it easier for Google to combine the data of one person using different services such as the search engine, YouTube or Gmail if he is logged into his Google account. That allows Google to create a broader profile of that user and target advertising based on that person`s interests and search history more accurately. Advertising is the main way Google makes its money.
Google argues that combining the data into one profile also makes search results more relevant and allows a user to cross-navigate between different services more easily.
"Over the past month we have asked to meet with the CNIL on several occasions to answer any questions they might have, and that offer remains open," said Peter Fleischer, Google`s global privacy counsel. "We are committed to providing our users with a seamless experience across Google`s services, and to making our privacy commitments to them easy to understand."
Google`s search engine has a market share of more than 90 percent in the EU, with rival services like Microsoft`s Bing gaining little traction.
The Commission is already examining whether Google uses this dominance to stop other search engines from entering the market. It is also investigating complaints from Microsoft and Apple into whether Motorola, which Google is in the process of taking over, is breaking EU competition rules in its aggressive enforcement of standard-essential patents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players