Google announces Internet education campaign for women in UP
Lucknow: Google today announced the launch of a two-month Internet education campaign to make around five lakh women and girls across Uttar Pradesh digitally literate.
The announcement in the state capital here marked the first regional chapter of Google`s initiative to bring digital literacy amongst Indian women in presence of "Gulabi Gang" leader Sampat Pal.
"The two-month Helping Women Get Online campaign (HWGO) in Uttar Pradesh aims to create awareness about the benefits of Internet for women and assist them to get online through basic knowledge on how to use the Internet," Google marketing director Sandeep Menon told reporters here.
"We strongly believe that Internet can benefit and transform the lives of women in Uttar Pradesh and India. With the launch of HWGO we aim to help over five lakh women and girls across Uttar Pradesh get digitally literate", he said.
The campaign was launched last year in November with the objective of empowering women with the help of technology following which regional chapter of this campaign was launched here.
In the next two months Google will cover over 20 cities across the state and help women get online through road shows in residential areas and Internet training modules for girl students in educational institutes, he said.
As the national drive, Google has already launched a specially designed website www.Hwgo.Com which hosts content covering the very basics of Internet usage and curated content that is relevant for women in India.
The "Gulabi Gang" is a women`s movement formed in 2006 by Sampat Pal Devi in Banda District of Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday