Google argues for `right to read emails`
Washington: Google is reportedly adamant on its stand that it is part of its business to systematically scan every email sent through its Gmail service and hence, cannot be held responsible for breaching privacy of users.
The search giant argued that the company must scan the emails sent to and from their systems as part of providing their services adding that the automated processes is part of providing the free Gmail service to the public.
However, privacy advocate, Consumer Watchdog President Jamie Court said that Google is also collecting information about their users for other purposes and argued that e-mail scanning isn`t technically necessary, only fiscally, Fox News reports.
The president added that the email scanning is not just for spam filtering but clearly for advertising as well.
According to the report, the lawsuit against Google filed in May claimed that the site `unlawfully opens up, reads, and acquires the content of people`s private email messages` in violation of California`s privacy laws and federal wiretapping statutes.
The claims also include that Google scans messages sent to any of the 425 million active Gmail users from non-Gmail users who never agreed to the company`s terms.
Court said that it is not just about Gmail but about whether the invasion of privacy laws that protects citizens everywhere else is going to protect them on the Internet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Kejriwal gives one week deadline to discoms to solve outages problem
- French Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray through as Angelique Kerber exits
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1