Google asked to takedown 100 million links breaching copyright laws since January 2013

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 21:57

London: Search engine giant Google has reportedly received 100 million `takedown` requests since January in 2013 for pages infringing the copyright laws.

According to the BBC, copyright holders send millions of `takedown` requests to Google every week in an attempt to make pirated material harder to access online.

A technology analyst at Midia Consulting, Mark Mulligan said that because file sharing has become very decentralized, there is no central sever to shut down the entire links and as soon as one page is removed, another comes up.

As the takedown requests for this year have nearly doubled up than 2012, editor of a news site Torrentfreak.com, Ernesto van der Sar said that the increase in requests is more about publishers putting pressure on Google to do more to tackle piracy because if people want to pirate they can always find a way to do so.

The report said that a digital content protection specialist, Degban, makes requests for about 300,000 link removals per week on behalf of clients and has asked for nearly 31 million web pages, or URLs, to be removed from Google`s results so far.

It was found that more than half of Degban`s URL requests were made on behalf of Froytal Services, a pornography producer.

Other major copyright owners who file the requests include the BPI ( British Recorded Music Industry ) and its member companies, the Recording Industry Association of America, and various film studios, such as Warner Brothers.

BPI spokesman said that the organization removes around one million links every week to music hosted on the internet without the artist`s knowledge or permission, the report added.

ANI

First Published: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 21:56
comments powered by Disqus