Google becomes number two in market value
New York: Google overtook US oil giant ExxonMobil on Monday to become the world`s number two company when rated by market value, behind its high-tech rival Apple.
Even though Google shares fell 0.38 percent, a bigger drop in Exxon stock allowed the Internet giant to capture the second spot in market capitalization.
Google`s market cap at the end of the trading day was $394 billion, compared to the $388 billion of ExxonMobil. Apple remained well ahead with a market capitalization of $472 billion.
Google briefly overtook Exxon during the trading session last Friday but Monday was the first time this was confirmed at the close of trade.
ExxonMobil shares fell 1.17 percent on Monday to $89.53, bringing its year-to-date loss to 11.5 percent.
Google, despite Monday`s modest dip, is near its all-time high and has doubled in value since July 2012. The shares closed Monday at $1,172.93.
The California-based Internet group is the world leader in online advertising, its Android operating system has become the dominant platform for smartphones and is also gaining fast in tablet devices.
Google`s other projects include a self-driving car and its Google Glass eyewear. The company recently bought Nest Labs in what is seen as a move into connected home technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill