Google boss warns students against `censorship of net` and `digital ethnic cleansing`
London: Google`s executive chairman Eric Schmidt and director of Google Ideas Jared Cohen have warned London School of Economics students against censorship on the internet and the dangers that `digital ethnic cleansing` pose.
Sky News quoted Schmidt, as saying that people will omit data if they want to restrict communication and information.
He, however, agreed that any piece of information cannot be completely concealed for a long time.
Speaking of the instructions for a 3D-printed plastic handgun that was published by a website operating in the United States, Schmidt said that some information needs to be censored on the internet, as cyber space is massively ungoverned in the absence of a delete button.
Despite the website originally posting the details being shut down by the U.S. Government, the designs had already been distributed widely across the internet and had appeared on other sites as well.
Schmidt expressed his anger over the incident, saying that people will die because of the gun manufacturer`s reckless act, and also because of the information being spread all over the net.
Schmidt also expressed his concern over `digital ethnic cleansing` which refers to slowing down of bandwidth that will in turn have a significant impact on development, economic opportunity and education.
Schmidt said governments should emphasize on dissemination of more data and more transparency.
He praised British Prime Minister David Cameron for promoting a more transparent model of government, saying that it is having a huge impact on people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan