Google breaches Dutch privacy laws
The Hague: US Internet giant Google is in breach of Dutch privacy laws and will have to change the way it operates, the Dutch privacy watchdog said on Thursday following a seven-month probe.
"Google links personal details of Internet users gleaned through different Google services without informing users and without asking their permission," said the Hague-based CBP, which advises government on privacy legislation.
It invited Google to attend a meeting to discuss its concerns.
The CBP released a 100-page report on Thursday after a seven-month investigation, saying that Google`s use of "tracking cookies" without clearly informing users -- or giving them an option to refuse -- was breaking the Dutch data protection act.
"Everything you do on the Internet allows Google to compile a personal profile by placing cookies... and without permission you are not allowed to do that," CBP chairman Jacob Kohnstamm told the NOS public broadcaster.
"You have to ask users (before using cookies) -- that`s what the law says and that`s what we say as well," he added.
Google is being investigated by privacy authorities in Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Spain, the CBP added.
Failing to heed advice on privacy laws in various countries could result in fines, Kohnstamm warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das