Google buys 2 startups: Apture, Katango
New York: Internet titan Google Inc has acquired two startup firms -- Apture and Katango -- for an undisclosed amount that would help it enhance the user experience of its browser and social networking services.
The 4-year old Apture focuses on providing instant access to information with in-page search technology.
Katango, on the other hand, was founded a little over a year ago and builds algorithms for automatically sorting friends that improves online social interaction.
However, financial terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Google buyout of Apture is expected to bolster the firm`s Chrome browser.
"We have been acquired by Google and will be joining the Chrome team to continue driving innovation and creating a better user experience on the web," Apture said on its site.
The acquisition of Katango will help over 40 million users of internet search giant`s social networking platform Google Plus to organise their circles. Katango`s technology is similar to the circles feature on Google Plus, which helps users to group their contacts easily.
"We are excited to join the Google Plus team and carry on fulfilling that mission. Google Plus is seeing tremendous momentum, so it`s a perfect time to join and make Circles smarter for millions of people," Katango said.
In the first nine month this year, Google had completed the acquisition of 57 companies for total of USD 502 million.
This exceeds Google`s previous annual record of 44 purchases completed last year. The company had spent cash worth USD 669 million for its all acquisitions in 2010.
Google is estimated to have acquired over 100 firms in the last decade, translating into purchase of 10 companies a year on average.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured