Google buys 2 startups: Apture, Katango
New York: Internet titan Google Inc has acquired two startup firms -- Apture and Katango -- for an undisclosed amount that would help it enhance the user experience of its browser and social networking services.
The 4-year old Apture focuses on providing instant access to information with in-page search technology.
Katango, on the other hand, was founded a little over a year ago and builds algorithms for automatically sorting friends that improves online social interaction.
However, financial terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Google buyout of Apture is expected to bolster the firm`s Chrome browser.
"We have been acquired by Google and will be joining the Chrome team to continue driving innovation and creating a better user experience on the web," Apture said on its site.
The acquisition of Katango will help over 40 million users of internet search giant`s social networking platform Google Plus to organise their circles. Katango`s technology is similar to the circles feature on Google Plus, which helps users to group their contacts easily.
"We are excited to join the Google Plus team and carry on fulfilling that mission. Google Plus is seeing tremendous momentum, so it`s a perfect time to join and make Circles smarter for millions of people," Katango said.
In the first nine month this year, Google had completed the acquisition of 57 companies for total of USD 502 million.
This exceeds Google`s previous annual record of 44 purchases completed last year. The company had spent cash worth USD 669 million for its all acquisitions in 2010.
Google is estimated to have acquired over 100 firms in the last decade, translating into purchase of 10 companies a year on average.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble