Google buys 2 startups: Apture, Katango
New York: Internet titan Google Inc has acquired two startup firms -- Apture and Katango -- for an undisclosed amount that would help it enhance the user experience of its browser and social networking services.
The 4-year old Apture focuses on providing instant access to information with in-page search technology.
Katango, on the other hand, was founded a little over a year ago and builds algorithms for automatically sorting friends that improves online social interaction.
However, financial terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Google buyout of Apture is expected to bolster the firm`s Chrome browser.
"We have been acquired by Google and will be joining the Chrome team to continue driving innovation and creating a better user experience on the web," Apture said on its site.
The acquisition of Katango will help over 40 million users of internet search giant`s social networking platform Google Plus to organise their circles. Katango`s technology is similar to the circles feature on Google Plus, which helps users to group their contacts easily.
"We are excited to join the Google Plus team and carry on fulfilling that mission. Google Plus is seeing tremendous momentum, so it`s a perfect time to join and make Circles smarter for millions of people," Katango said.
In the first nine month this year, Google had completed the acquisition of 57 companies for total of USD 502 million.
This exceeds Google`s previous annual record of 44 purchases completed last year. The company had spent cash worth USD 669 million for its all acquisitions in 2010.
Google is estimated to have acquired over 100 firms in the last decade, translating into purchase of 10 companies a year on average.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!