Google buys mobile app developer Clever Sense
New York: Internet search giant Google has
acquired mobile application developer Clever Sense for an
Clever Sense is known for its `Alfred` application, a
location-based, personalised restaurant and bar recommendation
application. The application is available on iPhones and
smartphones using Google`s Android mobile operating system.
"We are excited to join Google and start a new chapter in
curating the world around us. Together with the Google team,
we will accelerate our efforts toward this shared vision,"
Clever Sense Co-Founder and CEO Babak Pahlavan said in a
posting on the company website.
"Google helps local businesses connect with potential
customers and its worldwide presence can bring the value of
Clever Sense to a much larger audience," he added.
Google has been strengthening its local offerings for
quite sometime. It acquired restaurant ratings publisher Zagat
-- which provides people with a comprehensive view of where to
eat, drink, stay, shop and play worldwide, based on millions
of reviews and ratings -- in September.
Discovering local information is extremely important to
both users and businesses and the acquisition of Clever Sense
will benefit both, Pahlavan said.
"With Google and Clever Sense working together, our
entire team looks forward to building more intelligent,
serendipitous and magical services," he added.
In the first nine months of this year, Google completed
the acquisition of 57 companies for a total of USD 502
million. This exceeds Google`s previous annual record of 44
purchases, which was achieved last year. The company spent
cash worth USD 669 million on acquisitions in 2010.
Google is estimated to have acquired over 100 firms in
the past decade, translating into the purchase of 10 companies
a year on average.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof