Google Chrome hacked in five minutes
New Delhi: Hackers have defeated Google Chrome for the first time in an annual competition to test the security of the most popular web browser.
A group of French hackers were able to bypass Google security features to gain control of a Windows PC in less than five minutes at the Pwn2own.
Chrome had stood undefeated in the 2011 competition but a French firm, Vupen defeated it this time.
“We wanted to show that Chrome was not unbreakable. Last year, we saw a lot of headlines that no one could hack Chrome. We wanted to make sure it was the first to fall this year,” The Telegraph quoted firm’s research head Chaouki Bekrar, as saying.
Bekrar said his team had worked for six weeks ahead of the competition to explore vulnerabilities.
He added that his company had also devised a procedure to hack into Firefox and Internet Explorer, but wanted to first demonstrate that Chrome was not invincible.
Vupen had earlier used two previously unknown vulnerabilities to beat Chrome`s security, which is perceived to be stronger than rivals Firefox and Internet Explorer because of its use of “sandboxing”.
Vupen said it would keep details of how it bypassed Google`s sandbox technology private "for our customers".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured