Google Doodle celebrates Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi`s 161st birthday
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Today Google is celebrating 161st birthday of the legendary architect Antoni Gaudi with a doodle showcasing some of his work. The doodle features six of his renowned and landmark works including Casa Batlo and Casa Mila in a miniature collage.
Antoni Gaudi was born on June 25, 1852 in Reus, part of Catalonia in Spain. He enrolled in Piarists school, and then worked as an apprentice in a textile mill. He went to Barcelona to study teaching at Convent del Carmel. Gaudi then studied architecture at the Llotja School and the Barcelona Higher School of Architecture and graduated in 1878.To finance his education he pursued a job as a draftsman.
Known as the father of modern Catalan architecture Gaudí`s works reflect his highly individual and distinctive style that were characterised by freedom of form, voluptuous colours and texture. His buildings have left an indelible mark on Barcelona. Gaudí`s work is admired by architects around the world because of the unique,innovative and experimental architectural styles.
Gothic Revival and later Modernism based on historic architecture became a source of inspiration for Gaudi`s architectural style. He also derived inspiration from oriental styles including styles from India, Persia and Japan and from geometric forms.
Between 1984 and 2005, many of Gaudi`s works have been given World Heritage status by UNESCO including the Park Guell, the Palau Guell, the Casa Mila, the Nativity facade, the crypt and the apse of the Sagrada Familia, the Casa Vicens and the Casa Batllo along with the crypt of the Colonia Guell in Santa Coloma de Cervello.
Gaudi died on June 10, 1926 at the age of 73 in Barcelona after he was hit by a passing tram.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India