Google doodles for London Olympics opening ceremony
Mountain View, California: With just hours to go before the big party that London and the rest of the world has been waiting for, Internet giant Google joined the celebration with a London Olympics 2012 Doodle.
The Google Olympics opening ceremony Doodle depicts five athletes on the track holding the letters of the Google logo. The Olympic disciplines portrayed in the Doodle are football, swimming, running/jumping, javelin throw, fencing and basketball.
The world`s biggest sporting extravaganza will officially begin with a grand opening in London at 9.00 PM GMT (1.30 PM IST).
The Olympic Opening Ceremony entitled, "Isles of Wonder" will kick off with the ringing of the largest harmonically tuned bell in Europe, the Whitechapel Foundry.
British Olympic hero Sir Steve Redgrave is among the favourites to light the cauldron at the Olympic Stadium.
Over 10,500 athletes from 204 countries are expected to participate in 302 events in 26 sports. India is taking part in 13 disciplines with a 142-member strong, comprising 81 athletes and 36 coaches.
The 2012 Summer Olympic Games is the 30th modern Olympic Games and it will continue till August 12, 2012 and London becomes the first city to host the modern Games thrice. The British capital had previously hosted the event in 1908 and 1948.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read