Google Glass draws attention to gender issues in tech world
Washington: The marketing videos for Google Glasses show a diverse group of people are wearing the digital glasses, but a new website has highlighted that the first group of people wearing them are mostly males.
A new Tumblr website, White Men Wearing Google Glass, features a number of pictures of white men wearing the glasses.
The site, which is run by an anonymous author, has been shared thousands of times in the last few days on Twitter.
Google declined to comment on the ratio of male to female Google Glass explorers, which is the group of people who applied to test the first round of the product.
Google has begun testing an Explorer Edition of the glasses, which overlay digital information in the world, in the last few weeks with select application developers and early adopters.
Google said in a statement that Glass is designed by and for people from all walks of life and expressed hope for everyone to have a chance to enjoy it down the road.
In response to the original site, a new Tumblr called ` Women with Glass ` has come up. The site was started by Christina Warren, a senior writer at Mashable.com, and a few other female technology journalists who have been testing Glass.
Warren admitted there are "considerably less women" Explorers, mostly because there are fewer female software developers.
The under-representation of women in the tech world, especially the world of software developers and coders, is, of course, nothing new - though there has been a great effort to change that. Groups like Girls Who Code and Change the Ratio have formed with the goals of recruiting and supporting more females in the technology world.
In fact, Google will be holding a `women in technology` gathering at its upcoming Google I/O conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- US, UN condemn Syria hospital bombing in war-ravaged Aleppo
- F-16 to boost precision strike capability in anti-terror operations: Pakistan
- UN Security Council readies North Korea missile test reply
- US Vice President Joe Biden on surprise visit to Iraq
- Panama papers scandal: Russia to join global fight against tax evasion