Google Glass draws attention to gender issues in tech world
Washington: The marketing videos for Google Glasses show a diverse group of people are wearing the digital glasses, but a new website has highlighted that the first group of people wearing them are mostly males.
A new Tumblr website, White Men Wearing Google Glass, features a number of pictures of white men wearing the glasses.
The site, which is run by an anonymous author, has been shared thousands of times in the last few days on Twitter.
Google declined to comment on the ratio of male to female Google Glass explorers, which is the group of people who applied to test the first round of the product.
Google has begun testing an Explorer Edition of the glasses, which overlay digital information in the world, in the last few weeks with select application developers and early adopters.
Google said in a statement that Glass is designed by and for people from all walks of life and expressed hope for everyone to have a chance to enjoy it down the road.
In response to the original site, a new Tumblr called ` Women with Glass ` has come up. The site was started by Christina Warren, a senior writer at Mashable.com, and a few other female technology journalists who have been testing Glass.
Warren admitted there are "considerably less women" Explorers, mostly because there are fewer female software developers.
The under-representation of women in the tech world, especially the world of software developers and coders, is, of course, nothing new - though there has been a great effort to change that. Groups like Girls Who Code and Change the Ratio have formed with the goals of recruiting and supporting more females in the technology world.
In fact, Google will be holding a `women in technology` gathering at its upcoming Google I/O conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says