Google honours Carnatic vocalist MS Subbulakshmi with a doodle
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: Internet giant Google on Monday honoured renowned Carnatic vocalist MS Subbulakshmi on her 97th birth anniversary with a doodle on its homepage.
The second `G` in the word Google portrays the great musician holding a tanpura, with other musical instruments placed strategically to replace other alphabets.
Madurai Shanmukhavadivu Subbulakshmi also known as M.S. to her fans, was born in Madurai, Madras Presidency, India to veena player Shanmukavadiver Ammal and Subramania Iyer on 16 September 1916.
Subbulakshmi began her Carnatic classical music training under her mother, and later Hindustani classical training under Pandit Narayan Rao Vyas.
A child prodigy, Subbulakshmi`s first recording was realised when she was only 10 years old and by the age of 17, she was giving concerts on her own.
She was the first musician ever to be awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1998. She is also the first Indian musician to receive the Ramon Magsaysay award, often regarded as Asia`s Nobel Prize, in 1974.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened