Google honours Carnatic vocalist MS Subbulakshmi with a doodle
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: Internet giant Google on Monday honoured renowned Carnatic vocalist MS Subbulakshmi on her 97th birth anniversary with a doodle on its homepage.
The second `G` in the word Google portrays the great musician holding a tanpura, with other musical instruments placed strategically to replace other alphabets.
Madurai Shanmukhavadivu Subbulakshmi also known as M.S. to her fans, was born in Madurai, Madras Presidency, India to veena player Shanmukavadiver Ammal and Subramania Iyer on 16 September 1916.
Subbulakshmi began her Carnatic classical music training under her mother, and later Hindustani classical training under Pandit Narayan Rao Vyas.
A child prodigy, Subbulakshmi`s first recording was realised when she was only 10 years old and by the age of 17, she was giving concerts on her own.
She was the first musician ever to be awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1998. She is also the first Indian musician to receive the Ramon Magsaysay award, often regarded as Asia`s Nobel Prize, in 1974.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'