Google incites `adult` bloggers fury with letter threatening to delete their blogs
London: Google is struggling to reassure people running `adult` blogs on its Blogger network that it will not delete their blogs.
The move from the search giant comes after it sent out a letter this week to thousands of blog owners threatening to delete their blogs from Monday.
According to the Guardian, the move has led to high-profile people leaving the network, including Zoe Margolis, author of the female erotic memoir `Girl With A One-Track Mind`.
Margolis said she is exporting her entire blog to a separate domain in case Google wipes it without warning.
The letter was apparently sent out earlier this week to crackdown on pornographic advertising on its Blogger network.
In the letter, Google said it will `prohibit the monetisation of Adult content on Blogger. After June 30th 2013, we will be enforcing this policy and will remove blogs which are adult in nature and are displaying advertisements to adult websites`.
But the ambiguous nature of the first sentence, which implied that any `adult` blog on Blogger that takes advertising will be wiped, has outraged and infuriated free speech campaigners, the report said.
Google said it does not intend to delete sites simply because they host pornographic material.
The company has declined to explain the reasons for the move, or to say how many blogs, or what proportion of Blogger sites, would be affected, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement