Google launches custom tailored search feature
Washington: In a bid to trump Microsoft`s Bing, Google will start to populate individual users` search results with posts that have been shared publicly by their connections on Google+.
The new feature, which works only when users are signed in to their Google accounts, aims to tailor results to individual tastes, the company said Friday.
The idea is if a user posts a note on Google+ about a link--be it to a restaurant`s Web site, a news story, or a retail store`s site--their Google+ connections are going to be more likely to want to see that site as well.
In a blog post, Sagar Kamdar, Google product manager, offered an example of a contact in one of his Google+ Circles posting a note about a Chinese restaurant in New York City.
When Kamdar searches for the restaurant, a note appears below the restaurant link saying his connection shared a post about the establishment.
"Now not only do I get some great reviews on the Web, I get a review from a friend about a restaurant, with recommendations about what dishes to order," Kamdar wrote.
"This is just the latest step in helping you find the most relevant information possible, personalised to your interests and the people you care about," he added.
In May, Microsoft`s Bing rolled out a similar feature that elevates results that have received a "like" from a friend on Facebook. Bing`s implementation requires users to be logged in to Facebook.
For both Google and Microsoft, the idea is to mimic the real world, where people often rely on friends for advice before making decisions about products, restaurants, hotels, and more, tech news website CNet.com said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark