Google launches Twitter workaround for Egypt
San Francisco: Hoping to circumvent the blackout of the internet and social networking in Egypt, Google and Twitter announced a new service Tuesday that allows anyone to send tweets over the phone.
People can use the service by leaving a voicemail at one of three international numbers (+16504194196 or +390662207294 or +97316199855). The service will instantly tweet the message using the hashtag #egypt.
No Internet connection is required. People can listen to the messages by dialing the same phone numbers or going to twitter.com/speak2tweet, Google said in a blog posting.
"We hope that this will go some way to helping people in Egypt stay connected at this very difficult time," Google`s Ujjwal Singh wrote in a blog post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi