Google may launch `Gem` smartwatch later this month
Washington: Search engine giant Google may reportedly launch a smartwatch called Gem later this month to coincide with the release of its Android 4.4 Kit Kat.
According to the popular Android website, Android Police, the watch is a part of the Nexus brand and will reportedly be announced on October 31 this year, despite Google Glass yet to make its appearance on the market.
The Fox News reports that few months ago, Google had published a smartwatch patent, which detailed a watch with a user interface similar to Google Glass and featuring two touchpads on its wristband that can understand gestures such as pinching or stretching, just like Glass` single pad.
The report mentioned that the Gem would join the likes of Apple`s and Microsoft-LG`s rumoured iWatch and wrist-worn gadgets respectively, with Samsung just launching its Galaxy Gear smartwatch that is designed to work with its Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Note 10.1, which is set to be released next year.
According to a recent study, more than 373 million smartwatches will ship by 2020 compared to the 15 million projected for 2014, which suggests that the watch could soon become a major part of the mobile market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi