Google offers indoor maps in India
Bangalore: Global search engine Google is offering indoor maps in India, beginning from Bangalore, at selected locations such as malls across the city to enable visitors to explore them at ease.
"Our indoor maps will provide a view of fashion stores to movie theatres and supermarkets on different floors in malls, which are evolving into convenient one-stop entertainment hubs," the company`s Indian subsidiary said in a statement here Wednesday.
The search engine has uploaded maps of 75 popular indoor venues across the country, including Ascendas Park Square Mall, Gopalan Arcade Mall, Gopalan Innovation Mall, Gopalan Legacy Mall, Gopalan Signature Mall, Inorbit Mall Banglore, Orion Mall, The Forum and AUB city across Bangalore.
"As an indoor directory, the maps can be accessed and zoomed on an Android platform with detailed floor plans of the malls on a smart-phone loaded with Google Maps application.
"In some locations, a user will have the option of using the indoor My Location feature to help him/her navigate their way inside. We have worked with partners to bring the My Location feature available for outdoor spaces to several venues," the statement said.
The application`s blue dot icon will also help indicate a user`s location in a mall with multiple floors, as the map will automatically update to display which floor one is stationed.
"At these locations, a user can also access indoor walking directions to help him/her get to where he/she needs to go quickly," the statement said.
Google has worked with 75 partners in 22 cities across India to offer indoor maps for top indoor venues.
"We look forward to working with other partners to continue making the indoor maps more useful for people across the country," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly