Google+ opens to everyone, takes fight to Facebook
New York: Google Inc has opened up its Google Plus social network to everyone after testing it with a limited audience for 12 weeks.
Google said in a blog post on Tuesday that it will now let anyone sign up for Google Plus. Previously the service was only available by invitation, though it got easier to join in recent weeks.
The company also added a search capability to Google Plus that will let users sift through posts on the site.
Google Plus is the online search leader`s attempt to compete with Facebook, by far the world`s most populous online social network with more than 750 million users. Tuesday`s upgrades come two days ahead of Facebook`s f8 conference in San Francisco, where the company is expected to unveil several new features.
Google also made Plus`s "Hangouts" feature - which lets users video chat with multiple people at a time - available on smartphones with front-facing cameras. The feature currently works with phones running Google`s Android system. Google says support for Apple devices is coming soon.
A new service called "Hangouts On Air," meanwhile, lets users broadcast their videos online or view these videos as spectators. Google said it`s starting off with a limited number of broadcasters. Google plans to host its first such hangout with Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.i.am. on Wednesday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why