Google removes 12 BBC news stories in wake of `right to be forgotten`

Last Updated: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 21:33

London: A total of 12 BBC News stories have been removed from some search results following a landmark privacy ruling in Europe on the right to be forgotten.

The stories ranging from coverage of a court case on bomb-making in Northern Ireland 13 years ago to a dispute over a lost dog have been removed by Google since controversial EU "right to be forgotten" laws came into effect in May, the BBC reports.
Google made it a point to notify BBC about the removal of stories, but it did not reveal as to who had made the removal requests.

The "notices of removal" issued to the BBC by Google said the web pages would not appear in the results returned for "search queries for names or other personal identifiers, the report said.
Google said last month that it had received more than 91,000 requests to remove 328,000 pages from its search results.

While the search giant approved more than 50 percent of the processed requests, it refrained from revealing the total number of requests processed so far.

ANI

First Published: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 21:33

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus