Google `screwed up` in capturing private Wi-Fi data: Brin
San Francisco: Google "screwed up" by accidentally gathering private wireless data while taking pictures for its "Street View" mapping service, co-founder Sergey Brin has said.
Brin`s remarks came as two US lawmakers asked regulators whether the Internet giant had broken the law by capturing personal wireless data, while Italian and German authorities said they were looking into the matter.
Google said last week that Street View cars cruising and taking photographs of cities in over 30 countries had inadvertently gathered fragments of personal data sent over unsecured Wi-Fi systems.
"We screwed up," Brin told reporters here yesterday on the opening day of a Google conference for software developers. "I`m not going to make any excuses about it."
Brin said Google has "a lot of internal controls in place," although acknowledging that "obviously, they didn`t prevent this error from occurring."
He said the Mountain View, California-based company was "putting more internal controls in place."
"Trust is very important to us and we are going to do everything we can to preserve this trust," Brin said.
Meanwhile, Representative Ed Markey, a Democrat from Massachusetts, and Republican Representative Joe Barton of Texas sent a letter to the chairman of the US Federal Trade
Commission, Jon Leibowitz. They asked for a response by June 2.
In their letter, the two members of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce asked whether Google`s Wi-Fi data collection practices "violate the public`s reasonable expectation of privacy."
"Do Google`s actions form the basis of an unfair or deceptive act or practices that constitutes harm to consumers?" they asked. "Are Google`s actions illegal under Federal law?"
Consumer Watchdog, a US consumer advocacy group that often criticises Google, called on the FTC last week to launch a probe into the collection of private Wi-Fi information by Street View cars, calling the practice a "flagrant intrusion into consumers` privacy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof