Google search to answer queries now
London: Internet giant Google`s "search" will now not only hunt down typed-in words but also answer questions like an encyclopaedia.
In a drastic makeover for the search engine, the option will no longer show only a list of blue links to varous websites, but will also be dotted with information that would answer people`s questions, the Daily Mail reported.
The new version of search will use what is called "semantic search" that attempts to understand the meaning of searches, rather than simply hunting for words.
Microsoft has a similar option with its Bing search engine, the second most-popular in the US.
Google has "quietly" amassed information on 200 million items including people, places and products.
The daily said that in 2010, Google acquired a database company called FreeBase, and expanded its storehouse from 12 million to 200 million today.
Amit Singhal, a senior vice president at the company, said most searches rely on other sites -- and not Google itself -- to provide an answer.
"We cross our fingers and hope there`s a web page out there with the answer," he said.
The changes, however, was an ongoing process that could take years, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!