Google Street View is new arm against alien species
Paris: Google Street View can be a useful weapon in the costly and time-consuming fight against invasive species, French biologists said today.
A team at France`s French National Agency for Agricultural Research (INRA) used the online tool, which provides 360-degree images of streets filmed by specially-fitted cars, to gauge the spread of a tree-killing insect.
The pine processionary moth -- Thaumetopoea pityocampa in Latin -- is a foliage-munching critter that is native to balmy southern Europe but heading northwards and to higher altitudes as temperatures rise.
Its preferred food is an evergreen called the Austrian pine, which is extensively used in Europe`s managed forests and ornamental gardens.
In autumn, larvae of the moth build a nest in which to hunker down for the winter -- a highly visible home made from white, shiny silk that hangs at the end of branches like a hairy lightbulb.
Using this as a telltale, the researchers "drove" around a large area with Google Street View to map districts that had been invaded by the moth.
The area of 47,000 square kilometres (18,100 square miles) -- bigger than the Netherlands -- was divided up into a grid of 183 large-scale "cells", each comprising 16 kms by 16 kms (10 miles by 10 miles).
If a nest was spotted, the "cell" was marked down as infected.
The results from Google Street View were 90 percent as accurate as a test conducted on the ground by a human, who drove around the area in a car.
However, cyber-spotting was less successful in a different test that was carried out on a smaller scale.
A test area of 121 square kilometres (46 sq. Miles) was marked out in smaller "cells", but Google Street View performed less well, partly because of a lack of roads in some places.
Google Street View can be performed "in silico sampling of species occurrences", the scientists said, in a Latin quip about the use of computers as a substitute for boots-on-the-ground humans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof