Google to be tried in UK for bypassing Apple`s browser to snoop-on user data
London: Search giant Google would now be tried in the UK for allegations that it illegally tracked users bypassing privacy settings in Apple`s Safari browser.
A group of British Google users launched the legal action in 2013 saying that the search giant had illegally tracked their online activity between summer 2011 and spring 2012.
According to the BBC, Google argued that case should not be heard in the UK, while High Court Judge Michael Tugendhat ruled that UK was the `appropriate` jurisdiction and said that the case could proceed.
One of the claimants, Judith Vidal-Hall, said that Google would now have to explain its actions to other claimants regarding what it did with their private data, how much they made from it and why does the search giant keeps on flouting privacy laws.
However, a Google spokesperson said that it would appeal the ruling, adding that a case almost identical to this one was dismissed in its entirety three months ago in the US and the company believed that this case doesn`t meet the standards required in the UK for it to go to trial.
The search giant has been embroiled in a lot of privacy-related controversies including one case claiming that its live mapping service Google Street View allegedly collected user`s private data via public Wi-Fi.
Google, along with other Internet giants and telecom companies, has been found to be allegedly involved in the mega surveillance operations carried out by the US spy agency National Security Agency that led to a trend of periodic transparency report releases by these companies, quoting the number of user data requests made by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo