Google touts daily deal on home page
San Francisco: Google Inc promoted a Groupon-like daily deals offer on its home page on Wednesday for the first time, a rare instance of the Internet giant using its prized online real estate for advertising.
The world`s No.1 Web-search engine launched a daily deals business in certain cities this year -- called Google Offers -- to try and counter Groupon`s increasing draw for Web surfers.
Wednesday`s daily deal was the first time a Google Offers product has been promoted on its minimalist website, and may signal an escalation of competition with Groupon -- which has filed for an IPO sources say could happen as soon as next month.
The pair are vying for advertising dollars from local businesses, such as restaurants and retail stores.
A short blurb beneath Google`s sparse home page -- a valued window into a plethora of services from email to maps -- offered visitors $25 tickets to New York`s American Museum of Natural History for the discounted price of $5.
"We occasionally include a link on the Google homepage that points users to important information, whether it be about a relevant cause, a new product or an offer," a Google spokeswoman said in a statement emailed to Reuters.
"Users can benefit from learning about great deals from local organizations."
Google has traditionally resisted using its homepage for promotions, save for occasionally pushing in-house products such as its Chrome Web browser or its now-defunct Nexus S phone.
Google generated 96 percent of its roughly $29 billion in revenue last year from advertising. Most of it comes from ads that appear alongside Google`s search results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'