Google unveils detailed North Korea map
Washington: Internet search giant Google has rolled out a detailed map of North Korea that even labels some of the isolated nation`s remote and infamous gulags.
Users can zoom into the heart of Pyongyang and pull up photographs of the Kumsusan Memorial Palace, which houses the bodies of the revered former leaders Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il.
According to an English news website, the availability of photos quickly thins as users scroll into the North Korean countryside and dries up almost entirely around more controversial areas marked on the map, like the Yongbyon nuclear complex and what Google labels the Yodok and Hwasong gulags.
The Punggye-ri Nuclear Test Facility, where the regime may be about to carry out a new nuclear test in defiance of international pressure, doesn`t appear to be featured on the map at the moment, the report said.
Google said "a community of citizen cartographers" used the Internet search giant`s Google Map Maker software over a period of years to pinpoint road and place names.
According to the report, it said the North Korean maps could be particularly useful to South Korean citizens, `who have ancestral connections or still have family living there.`
But people inside North Korea are unlikely to be able to see the mapping information as using the Internet is extremely restricted.
The maps come weeks after Google`s executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, visited North Korea earlier along with former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Donald Trump says EU formed 'to beat US at making money'
- Muslim woman told to remove hijab for job application in New Zealand
- Kriti Sanon wishes 'Heropanti' director Sabbir Khan a very happy birthday! Pic inside
- Suicide attack in Baghdad kills at least 10 people
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati