Google unveils instant translation app
London: Google has unveiled a mobile phone application that allows users to translate chats instantaneously.
Google Translate can use devices running its Android operating system to allow translation of English to Spanish and vice versa.
Users will have to punch a key to activate the translation between sentences, but Google expects the service to operate in real-time within 18 months.
It uses technology similar to the updated Googles application, which uses a phone`s camera to snap images of sudoku puzzles and, via internet, whiz back the solution in seconds, the Daily Mail reports.
Google Translate works by recording the user`s speech, sending the recorded words to the company`s vast servers, which then send back an audio translation.
The `Alpha` trial version works only in Spanish and English but Google expects to add new languages soon.
In December, an iPhone application called WordLens became an internet sensation after a video demonstrated how it uses the iPhone`s inbuilt camera to recognise text that is viewed through the lens. It too only worked with Spanish and English.
Google already has an online text translator and while early versions of it sometimes produced little more than gobbledegook, it`s ever-growing database of words has now enabled it to achieve far greater accuracy.
It now covers more than 52 of the world`s estimated 6,000 languages.
As with automatic text translation, Google hopes the technique will become more sophisticated with the help of millions of users around the world.
But Google Translate is a giant leap forward in technology, eschewing text translations for direct speech, and it defies expert opinion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday